Pages

Saturday 4 November 2017

Picture This #424 ~ Tiny Or Small

Thanks for hosting Mitch and for featuring my Swiss pumpkin as a banner shot with all its lumps and bumps.
Sorry to inundate you with so many photos. At first I though I have none, but when I entered the tag macro, I found many. Some perhaps not so macro, but I just couldn't decide, so here are my tinys. I am still learning this lens, it is not so easy I discovered. 


This spider was living in the scaffolding in my garden almost all summer, but catching the light in the right place and getting the focus was not easy. I eventually did it, but more luck than judgement.

Spider Webs 14.10 (4)

If you ever see anything like this growing on a plant, then throw the plant away, destroy it, abandon it and keep it away from any other growing thing. I bought myself my annual basil plant in Spring. Suddenly I noticed these find threads sprouting from the top. I thought they might be roots. It is dodder, something known quite well in the States, and there is also a European species. This seems to be the original American version. I bought the plant in the local supermarket and it was probably waiting in the earth to go forth and multiply. It is a parasite, weaving its find threads into its host plant and moves on to infect the complete garden. Luckily I have online contact with a horticulturalist on my WordPress site and he filled me in on the information. Even my gardener didn't recognise it.
Basil and Dodder 23.09 (4)

The details of a protea (my favourite triffid).
Protea

My bromeliad decided to produce new plants. They began sprouting out of the leaf basis.
Bromelia 20.09 (5)

The internal life of an amaryllis.
Amaryllis 11.12 (5)




5 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Pat, you seem to be really getting the hang of macros. That spider is so wee and cute I am not at all afraid of it. Fascinating yellow threads on the basil, I've never seen that. The unfolding protea is just lovely, beautiful color and detail. Also cute is the baby bromelia. The amaryllis picture is so nice, especially with the contrast of the deep pink mum and the yellow pollen. All in all a great bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat!! Wonderful shots for this week's theme. Great catch of the spider in his web. They are very tricky to catch just right, I've rarely managed to get a good one. I've never heard of that parasite growing on your Basil. Will have to look it up. Love the shot of the Protea....they always look slightly alien to me. Vary cool capture of Bromeliad Junior beginning to grow in it's parents watery pocket. Excellent capture of the Amaryllis. Seems to me you are definitely getting the hang of that lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat! Love all your wonderful shots
    the spider is so awesome wow just wow your succulents wonderful and your banner pumpkin is so lumpy cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, how beautiful your photos are! Love the bromelia and its exquisite shape...

    ReplyDelete