Pages

Saturday 5 November 2016

Picture This #376 ~ Gates, Arches And Doorways

Thanks for hosting Mitch and Benni for the wonderful banner photo.

I took this photo with a very old camera in 1964 when I was on a Baltic Sea cruise in my last year at school, visiting amongst other places St. Petersburg (now Leningrad) in Russia. This photo shows the Naval Triumphal Arch on the Starchek square - Old but historical. I scanned it.
Naval Triumphal Arch Starchek square Leningrad

One of the gates leading the the Boleyn Ground of the West Ham Football Club in London. They have now moved to the Olympia Stadium near Stratford.
West Ham United Stadium, Upton Park

Waltham Abbey Gardens, England.
Waltham Abbey 15.07 (11)

Many years ago, when Mr. Swiss was still a schoolboy, this was the local station for our road train to town. He can still remember when it was in use. Now it has been left as a memory of the days gone by, but you can still use it. You just have to cross the road to get to the modern station on the other side.
Feldbrunnen to Langendorf via Solothurn 02.11 (1)





5 comments:

  1. Hi Pat! I remember well how that Arch with its neoclassical architecture was impressive to me when I visited the then Leningrad,in 1977... love the colour of the gate in the second shot, while the photo of the two arches - yes, they are two - makes me believe how I would like to walk in those gardens... Very interesting hat-shaped roof...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat! I was in Leningrad in 1969 and walked through that square almost every day for the 6 weeks I was there. Thank you so much for the wonderful memories. Nice red gate, lovely stone arch, and delightful little station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Majestic structure

    Great shot of the gate

    Impressive entrance

    Delightful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat !! Lovely shots for the theme. I have never visited Russia, but have read that many of the major cities contain very impressive classical architecture. Your first photo shows a fine example of that!! Great shot of the old West Ham gates. I'm sure that many older Hammers fans preferred the old stadium, even though the new stadium is bigger and more modern. Great capture of the double arch at Waltham Abbey. I love that quaint little 'waiting room' of the old station.

    ReplyDelete